-

-

 

-

 

 

MVFC History

 

-

          For a number of years, the only fire fighting apparatus was a hose cart pulled by the citizens of the community. This was true in the borough of McConnellsburg until 1930. Then, the Borough Council purchased a 1931 Chevrolet fire truck which arrived in McConnellsburg the middle of December 1930. The new truck cost about $3,800. The first meeting of the McConnellsburg Fire Company was reported in the paper of January 8, 1931. It was held in the local IOOF hall. Jacob Clevenger was appointed Chief by the Borough Council and presided over that meeting. The first equipment was housed in a building beside the former R & G Garage on Lincoln Way East. Then, in 1939, the Borough Council purchased the former United Presbyterian Church next to the old Sagner Building and it was converted into a fire hall. This was used until the new building was constructed on East Maple Street. In 1941, another Chevrolet fire truck was purchased and housed with the 1931 model in the newly converted fire hall. The 1931 was purchased by John R. Shimer and the 1941 was purchased by John J. Kelso and both trucks were donated back to the fire company and restored. They are currently driven in our parades as the company antiques. In 1948, a Dodge Pumper was purchased and provided many years of service. The American Legion Post 561, in 1952, purchased a 1941 Buick Ambulance from Chambersburg’s Goodwill Company and donated it to the McConnellsburg Fire Company. This began the Ambulance Service by the Fire Company which is operating today. Since the early sixties, the Fire Company has been purchasing new ambulances every two to four years.

   
          The company also first began serious discussion of construction a new fire hall in 1952, and in 1953 the land was purchased from the McConnellsburg Lutheran Church and construction began. The new fire hall was built at a cost of $50,000 and was dedicated on April 20, 1956.

   

          A new 40 by 80 foot addition was added to the existing building in 1976 at a cost of $110,000. This includes a new basement, a recreation room , additional storage, a bunk room, office lounge room, and additional truck parking. The second floor includes a new kitchen and additional auditorium space.

   

         Through the years we have continually upgraded equipment and apparatus to meet the public needs and currently have two buildings. The new fire hall houses our fire apparatus, and the old one is utilized as an Ambulance Bay.

 

MVFC Archives

 

 

Ground Breaking For The Current FireHall

 

 

 

Officers In The Late 40's

The Fire Police In The Early 50's

 

 

 

                                      

 

 

 

Content Provided and Maintained By:

McConnellsburg Volunteer Fire Company

Copyright © 2007 -  All rights reserved.

Email the Webmaster 

 
Website Designed by:

-